Thursday, November 19, 2009









Went into Bangkok today to do some errands and stopped by the Erawan Shrine. This shrine was created on the grounds of what was the Erawan Hotel in the 1950s. The construction of the hotel was plagued with so many mishaps and death that this shrine was erected on the spot and dedicated to Indra ( the King of Gods in Hindu mythology ) and his elephant mount - Erawan.
It is THE spot for anyone wishing to express gratitude for recent good fortune. Because everything had gone so smoothly for me since arriving in Thailand and because I found a job so quickly, I decided this was the perfect place for me to stop and be still and sit in gratitude.
Women in traditional costumes do regular dances on the hour at the shrine and I even caught a glimpse of the second shift getting ready to go on.
Its A Bizarro World Part Three - Walking along the streets of Bangkok and suddenly over the streets I hear loud speakers begin - "Sleigh Bells Ring - Are You Listening?" Christmas is coming to Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment