Friday, November 6, 2009
















Big day today! Took the ferry for the first time to go to the Grand Palace. It works just like a subway. There are different lines and it can be very confusing - so confusing that I got on the wrong ferry and missed my stop - because - you guessed it - I got on an express by accident.

I visited the Grand Palace all day - I just could'nt seem to pull myself away! Unfortunely my camera does not capture how very vibrant the colors are, but believe me the place is captivating. Towards the end of the day, I stopped taking pictures and sat under a tree for about an hour and just chilled and listened to the birds. It is truly magical place.

The grand temple was built in 1782 and was at one time a self sufficient city and the home of the royal family. They live elsewhere now but it is still Thailand's holiest of temples.

It is most known for the Emerald Buddha. They do not allow you to take pictures of it - but believe me it is something to behold. It is made of green jade and gold. It sits at the top of an enormous shrine and they ask to take off your shoes before entering the temple. You must sit facing the Buddha and you are asked to sit on your knees so your feet are not facing the Buddha out of respect. As soon as you enter the temple you know you are in a special place. And Buddhist are different when it comes reverence. The are in no way solemn. They are quiet and reverent but there is a joy about their stillness. (I constantly see monks walking the streets and believe or not several of them have tattoos on the exposed left arm.)

Tomorrow Kate's friend is picking me up and I am going to stay at what may become my new home.
So goodbye to Penpark place for now - but if you are ever in Thailand I strongly recommend it.

What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment