Sunday, November 29, 2009

More Random Observations

1) There is a moisturizer that is available in almost every pharmacy that claims to lighten the color of your skin. Apparently it is very popular with teenagers. I see advertisements all over Bangkok that are for products made here, for Thai people and almost all the models are white people. Almost all the Thai fashion models have very pale skin. 95% of the people I see on the street are dark skinned.

2) I have never seen anyone over the age of fifty left on the bus with no place to sit. Someone will give them their seat.

3)All Thai people do is eat. If they are not eating they are thinking about what they will eat next and rarely do I ever see anyone overweight. And I mean RARELY.

4)There are 7-11's everywhere! Sometimes two or three on the same street.

5)Thai people are not to specific about time. If your class starts at noon and you show up 10 to 15 minutes late, it is no big deal. I am sure this is due to how difficult it can be to get around.

6)It is perfectly legal for motorcycles to drive on the sidewalk.

7)"Sir" in Thai means "stupid." So "Thank you, sir" means "Thank you, stupid." Luckily I was told this before I found out the hard way.

8)When getting dressed up and wanting to look professional - a belt is more important than a tie.

9)If you work in a retail store - your manager will lead you in physical exercises before your shift starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment