Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Looking for a Teaching Job in Thailand

It seems to me that someone might possibly read this blog who desires to do the same thing I have done.
There is a lot of advice online about this very subject. Some of which I intended to follow exactly when I arrived and found it to be very misguided.
Here's my two cents:

1) Wait until you get here. I know its scary but most places are looking for someone to start right away. I came during the slow time. Public schools were two weeks in session and I missed those opportunities. ( I arrived the 4Th of Nov. ) But I still found a job in three days.

2) Don't waste your time with emails and phone calls. Most emails are answered by school secretaries who may not be very good at the Internet and most phone calls will reach those same secretaries who often have weak English and it is very difficult to set up something definite.

3) Get dressed up and pound the streets with your resume in hand.

4) Bring all original documents - especially your diploma and teaching certificate.

5) Be prepared to take a grammar quiz as a part of your application.

6) There is an article on Transitions Abroad called How To Find A Job In Thailand in Ten Days. The writer tells you to stay on Khaosan road ( the backpackers hub ) and use that as your address and look for a job from there. Very poor advice! If possible employers see that on your resume, they will not take you seriously at all. Luckily I have a friend (love you Kate) who set me up with a friend who had a place for me to stay and I used that address and possible employers knew that I was not trying to teach for a week, make some extra bucks and then quite on them.

7) You need a college degree, a TEFL certificate of some kind, and some teaching experience - but that doesn't have to be Teaching English. Spin it to win it.

8) I got my teaching certificate from ICAL. It only cost 250 bucks but it does not include teaching experience - just writing papers on theory and lesson plans. It is worth 100 hrs. TEFL is the biggest and most recognized site. This certificate is worth 200 hrs. and you actually teach as a part of the training but it can cost up to 1300. Your choice.

9) English Teachers online can be a grumpy bunch. Don't let them get you done. Thailand is an amazing place! And it is not perfect. Its incredibly overpopulated and hot and smoggy and can be very dirty and very difficult to get around at first. The people though are incredible and the city has incredible sites and journeys around every corner. ( Oddly enough I have had more luck with asking Thai people for help then other foreigners. )

But if you are up for the adventure - then you Gotta Go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment