Thursday, November 19, 2009



Just realized that I forgot to tell you about this! This is amazing!
This is from the What ( temple ) that I visited on my fourth day here.
Now stick with me cause this is incredible.
These are oyster shells. You cant really see by the picture but they are all larger than my foot. They are enormous for oyster shells! and they found thousands of them. They found them under the ground about 50 years ago. Now bear in mind the ocean is about two hour flight from here. They estimate that these oysters shells are over 6 million years old. You heard me!
And they created these mounds from the oyster shells as a part of the What to honour the sea and the past. This pile of shells is about two floors high and there is no concrete used! The monks piled them slowly and they formed these structures of which there are over half a dozen.
And they are still finding more!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it's like putting a sweat lodge together. With patience you just choose one willow sapling at a time and keep trying until you fine the particular one that wants to fit here. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete