Saturday, January 2, 2010

Chatuchak Market































All over Bangkok there are markets with tiny passageways where you can easily get lost for an hour pouring over a variety of goods and delighting in the low cost of things.
Chatuchak weekend market is the big daddy of them all.
Over 6,000 stalls. The size of five football fields. It is shopping heaven.
Rarely do I have weekends off, so this was my chance. Luckily, I got there early ( about nine ) because you really need all day.
Everything; jeans, dress shirts, t shirts, casual clothes, formal clothes, wedding dresses, dress shoes, sneakers, and boots - tons of boots, toys, PETS, antiques, books, housewares, cookware, ceramics, furniture, handcrafts, plants, flowers, gardening supplies, and of course food- tons of food.
And at one corner, there are the most amazing art galleries with some of Bangkok's best artist. I saw beautiful paintings and sculptures that really blew me away. Right next to a guy selling puppies!
It is so cramped in these large warehouse-like pavilions and there is no air conditioning but it was incredible. It just goes on and on and just when you think that you've seen everything in one building, you discover a new aisle of stalls you never noticed.
And what did I buy?
A used children's book for learning the Thai alphabet.
My new years resolution. To be fluent in speaking, writing and reading.
Wish me luck.
Personal note - Kathy, I really missed you today. You would have loved this place. But you were with me in spirit. And when you visit me - we gotta go!




No comments:

Post a Comment