Monday, December 21, 2009

Random Ramblings

1) Thai people drink out of bags. If you go to a store and you buy a soda, unless you stop them, they will pour it into a clear plastic bag and add ice and a straw. I see people walking around Bangkok all the time - sipping soda out of a clear plastic bag. Soups are also sold on the street in the same way.

2) Thai people will nap anywhere! Often if you go to a large outside market you will see someone on a break sprawled out on a table just taking a nap. My kind of crowd!

3) The Thai have invented a new word in English - "edutainment." At first I thought it was education misspelled, as many English words are; on products and on signs, but this actually means something. Many malls have little private schools for learning a new language, acting schools, music schools and computer schools. (Which is exactly the kind of place I teach - a learning center. ) The area where all of these are located is called the edutainment center. Education and entertainment. I think its a great word.

4) Just because it is called a bus stop - don't expect the bus to actually stop. It will pick you up and drop you off - but a full stop is rare.

5) Thai people think all farangs (white foreigners ) are rich.

6) Even Thai people complain about the heat. (And its winter!)

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to wish you a merry, merry whatever you celebrate and send blessings for the new year!!!!!!!! Love you, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracy! This year I am celebrating my adventures. That is my Christmas gift.I hope all is well with you and your loved ones and adventures and health to all in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete